ECI Group, the world’s leading specialist engineering contractor for low-density polyethylene (LDPE) and ethylene vinyl acetate (EVA) projects, has identified an immediate need for an experienced and knowledgeable Principal Piping Design and Plant Layout Engineer – Deputy Section Leader in our Manchester (Simon Carves Engineering) office. Consider joining our team of experienced engineers and designers developing plant layout and piping designs for our petrochemical and advanced recycling business lines.
Your Role With The Company:
- This position reports directly to the Global Mechanical Piping Design and Plant Layout Manager
- Highly motivated, eager to contribute to the establishment of an effective and efficient Piping Design & Plant Layout (EPL) Group.
- To provide management and leadership for the Manchester Office Piping Design & Plant Layout Department Section such that it operates as an effective team in the execution of its assigned work scope such that deliverables are technically correct, coordinated with adjoining departments and executed within assigned schedule and budget.
- Constructively and proactively support the Global Piping Design & Plant Layout Department Manager in their role with frequent and effective communication, development and implementation of initiatives and in the performance of the below duties.
- Oversee and report on the Manchester Office Piping Design & Plant Layout Department Section.
- Provide clear DIRECTION (verbal, written, procedural), Ensure technical, procedural and interpersonal COMPETENCE within the Manchester Office Piping Design & Plant Layout Department Section.
- Expand and maintain knowledge of the latest standards, 3D software, Laser Scanning Software and HP Design.
- Independent layout of process plant and process piping design using PDMS [E3D] plant design tool.
- Develop good customer relationships.
- Coordinate and manage design implementation and verification with vendors (e.g. Fabricators, HP Tube manufacturer, etc.)
- Provide clear and concise instructions to vendor as required.
- Ensure staff have the OPPORTUNITY to perform:
- Appropriate resources.
- Sufficient delegation of authority.
- Software and other tools are available and adequate
- Procedures are adequate and relevant information available
- Understand and ensure appropriate MOTIVATION is provided.
- Ensure that knowledge of the latest standards, legislation, products and practices relating to the relevant engineering discipline is maintained.
- Set, review and appraise annual PDRs for Manchester Office Piping Design & Plant Layout Department section staff.
- Assist in the development of meaningful staff career development and training plans.
- Promote a team environment of mutual respect with open communication, celebration of success and provide frequent positive reinforcement.
- Software and other tools are available and adequate.
- Procedures are adequate and relevant Information available.
Perform the following for the Manchester Office Piping Design & Plant Layout Department Section:
Integration & Standardization:
- Take a proactive role in the integration of personnel, systems and procedures between US and UK offices. Coordinate such activities with the counterpart in the Baton Rouge Office and the Global Piping Design & Plant Layout Department Manager.
- Ensure that the implementation of Company Management System within the Manchester office conforms to Best Industry Practices and that all relevant legislative requirements are met.
Project Quality & Safety Performance:
- Provide active oversight of project engineering work including technical support, technical quality assurance, technical design/project reviews, consistency of approach across projects and prevention of under / over design.
- Ensure that suitably qualified and experienced resources from the discipline are assigned to project or proposal work. Identify and raise any training needs and assign less experienced members of the team to more senior mentors to develop skills and ensure appropriate oversight.
- Ensure compliance with the Company processes, procedures, work instructions and departmental standards including company QA and HSE policies.
- Ensure that the applicable company systems are used, that the relevant QA procedures and standards are followed and that the piping and layout design within the departments area of responsibility conforms to contract specific requirements and any applicable Client, company, national and international standards, design codes and legislation.
- Identify and communicate potential improvements in safety and technical quality performance
- Implement the most appropriate software tools for project execution. Communicate any issues with inappropriate or outdated tools and assist in the development of new tools.
Project Cost & Schedule Performance :
- Assist in the review and moderation of project engineering budgets and schedules and participate in resource forecasting and planning.
- Review Manchester Office performance metrics including project budget and key deliverables which are developed and tracked within Projects Subdivision.
- Assist and support Project Lead engineers to complete assigned engineering work within budget and to project timescale.
- Identification of contractual scope changes and thereafter assisting in the preparation of piping and layout manhour estimates to execute the additional work.
- Constructively identify and coordinate improvements in cost and schedule performance.
- Support Business Development to secure new work.
- Contribute to risk identification and mitigation for proposal work.
- When required, deputize as Global Piping Design & Plant Layout Department Manager.
- When required, act as Lead Engineer on specified projects / proposals.
- Lead Responsibilities – Summary duties include:
- Project Planning
- Managing the project schedule for the relevant engineering department team assigned to a project
- Managing the project scope for the relevant engineering department team assigned to a project
- Managing the project budget for the relevant engineering department team assigned to a project
- Reporting and Coordination to / with other project team members
- These include regular activities such as:
- Liaising with the PM, Project Controls, Regional Office Dept Lead, Doc Control and Other Engineering Department Leads on the project to develop the technical and project-management deliverables.
- Attending regular coordination, technical review and progress reporting meetings
- Understanding the contractual scope and assigning work to members of the engineering department team
- Providing daily effective team leadership to the engineering dept team
- Identify risks, data needs and issues that may impede the progress of the work, as well as changes to the contractual scope of work
- Respond to comments from other depts, the client team, and project management, ensuring that agreements are recorded and agreed with the project management team.
- Identify resourcing issues and adjust project team workloads or request resource changes as necessary
- Ensuring deliverables are developed, issued and filed in accordance with project schedule, the assigned budget, and to the necessary quality standards, including approval of deliverables from the relevant engineering dept.
- Close out the project and develop lessons learned for implementation.
- Relevant Engineering Degree or equivalent qualification and experience.
- Chartered Engineer
- Legally authorized to work in the UK
- 15+ years experience in piping design and plant layout in the petrochemical industry with broad expertise in process plant layout, pipework design, fabrication and erection, health, safety and environmental issues.
- Understanding of Conceptual Plant Layouts (e.g. Equipment Spacing, Pipe Spacing, Maintenance Spacing, Valve Orientations, Truck & Rail Loading/Unloading, etc.)
- Site experience (e.g. construction, maintenance) preferred.
- EPC work environment related to new Green Field Projects.
- Experience using ASME B31.3.
- Proven knowledge of and use of Engineering Specifications.
- Detailed knowledge and use of PDMS [E3D] software experience is required. Must be able to create 3D models, mechanical details and various types of piping drawings used to compile an error free design package.
- Skill-full in the use of ACAD Plant 2D and 3D software used to create Engineering drawings.
- Preferred: Ability to perform Laser Scanning and Register Scans.
- Skill-full use of Navisworks and the ability to conduct model reviews.
- Knowledge of Drafting CAD standards, including creating CAD Standard Libraries, Paper/Model Space and Plotting/Publishing.
- Knowledge of Adobe Acrobat, Raster-Cad, Microsoft Office Suite, including Word and Excel as well as Microsoft Outlook.
- Working knowledge in the use of Scene and LFM software for Laser Scanning.
- Substantial relevant engineering experience in the petrochemical, nuclear and renewable industries. Multidisciplinary exposure.
- Detailed knowledge of international codes, practices, vendors relevant to the Piping Design & Plant Layout Department.
- Detailed knowledge of LDPE / EVA and polymer engineering relevant to Piping Design & Plant Layout Department.
- Close relationships with key clients, Licensor personnel, vendors.
|Job Category||Mechanical Engineer|